Monday, January 3, 2011

The Fray

As I watch my newly turned teenage daughter ride that roller coaster called adolescence I can vaguely remember being in that stage. It's an evil time of life. Everything anyone says or does to, at or near you has an impact. Depending on the situation too, you are really only capable of being over the top excited or so down that you can barely bring yourself to hold your head up. It's a good thing hoodies are in fashion right now or my daughter wouldn't have anything to hold her bottom lip up when she's in "blue" phase.
Your emotions are right at the edge of that ratty sleeved shirt (which you begged your parents to by that way but when they said "no" you called grandma). As if someone were to pull one string on that tattered edge you would just fall apart. Or if you're in "spastic sunshine" mode, it would send you off into a trail of giggledom that would cause otherwise normal folks to stare and shake their heads.
I feel sympathy, empathy, apathy or any other athy's that apply here for her. But I also know that those feelings become somewhat jaded as an adult and your super passion for life in general can get weighed down by the boring adult stuff. So while I know sometimes she feels pain in her heart and her mind, it's good to feel it all. With grand euphoria comes those lowly dips as well. But you would not know what it means to feel good if you never hurt, need if you never lost or to respect if you were never acknowledged.
I know your heart may ache at times but when you find the key that truly belongs the dips are only wrinkles.

No comments:

Post a Comment